Time

Time has a way of showing us what is really important!

I love clocks!  All kinds: mantle clocks, chime clocks, watches, and especially old looking clocks. I love to see the gears inside working and love hearing that tick-tock, tick-tock sound.

It seems that the older you get the faster time seems to pass. I know that is illogical, there are still only 24 hours in each day, 60 minutes in each hour, 60 seconds in each minute, no matter what is happening all around you.  But have you noticed that at some times, time seems to just barely move along and at other times, it races at warp speed?

I was in Indiana visiting my Sister and we were driving around her neighborhood and she stopped her truck.  (It was trash pick-up day and her neighbors always seem to throw out the best things! Some like brand new!)  She saw a set of shelves that were almost new and thought she could use them in her basement for storage.  So, she stopped the truck and asked if I could help her get it up into the back. As we were looking at the shelves, I noticed this clock and another one and immediately knew I had to have it, whether it was working or not; secretly hoping it was and maybe the owners just had it a long while and decided to toss it.  There was also another clock lying there with it, on tall metal legs formed into a rounded design that came together at the top with the clock face suspended in the center. It was battery operated and made to stand as an ornamental piece on the floor. I took that one too.  Well, the one above needed some work so I asked my Nephew, who can fix almost anything, if he thought he could get it running and he said he thought he might be able to.  My Sister and I went to finish our shopping after emptying the back of her truck so she could fit her groceries in there, and we came back and the clocks were both working! I was so happy! I love seeing the pendulum go back and forth and listen to the sound it makes and then it chimes on the hour and half-hour!

Getting back to the issue of "time" though, we humans are so time oriented! When we are enjoying ourselves, we seem to forget about time. (Ever been late to an appointment or missed it completely because you were so absorbed in something you were enjoying that you forgot to notice the time? Or have you ever been in an uncomfortable or painful situation and it seemed that every minute lasted an hour??)  That's what I mean!  I can come upstairs to my computer, music, craft room and start working on designing some cards or playing my guitar or just reading emails and before I know it, 4 hours have passed as if they were nothing!  In 2012, after my accident, every hour seemed like an eternity because of the pain and discomfort I was having.  That seemed to be the longest year of my life!  This week, we have had nothing but thunderstorms every day and we're wondering if they will ever end!

The Bible tells us that one day with God is as a thousand years and a thousands years as one day! II Peter 3:8  It is almost unimaginable for us as humans to think in these terms.  To think that 'time' doesn't matter at all. One day, if we have put our faith and trust in Jesus Christ, we will be with Him for all eternity and we will no longer be tied to the hands on the clock! Totally unrestrained by 'time'.  What a day that will be!  When we live each day with Heaven in mind, we realize just how short our time on this earth really is, which gives us a whole new perspective on things:  how we spend each day; what we spend our energy on; what we deem to be really important if time truly is short. Personally, I don't believe we have long left on this earth before Jesus returns!  He said to His Disciples: Revelation 22:20 "Surely I come quickly."  and II Peter 3:10 "But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. (v.11) Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness." I would recommend reading the rest of the following verses, which for lack of time and space, I have not typed here.  But the matter is clear:  Jesus' return will come "in the twinkling of an eye"... that fast!  Are you ready? God's Word tells us that if we "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, thou shalt be saved, and thy house." Acts 16:31.  Jesus also said that "No man comes to the Father but by me." John 14:6  Will you be ready in that moment of time, when Jesus returns for His own? (Those who have placed their total trust in His sacrifice for their sins.)  Personally, even with my love affair with 'clocks' in this earthly time period, I am anxiously awaiting His return when time will be no more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answers to Yesterday's Quiz on Moses

In the Beginning....