Long Hunter State Park Pow Wow

Arvel Bird and me at Long Hunter State Park

I had the privilege of going to Long Hunter State Park in Hermitage, TN this Saturday to see and hear Arvel Bird perform his Celtic Fusion music.  His background is Celtic from his Father's side and Paiute from his Mother's Side.  The result is an extremely unique and BEAUTIFUL sound of music like you've never heard before (unless you've heard Arvel in the past!).  I first met and heard Arvel Bird play at a Pow Wow quite a few years ago. It's been so long now that I don't remember which Pow Wow it was!  But when I read that he was appearing at the Long Hunter State Park in Tennessee this weekend, I just had to go!  For several years now, I've been trying to get my family all interested in Pow Wows and enjoy going with me.  My background is that (I believe it was) my Great-Great-Great Grandmother was a Blackfoot Indian. I remember my Grandmother telling me she was the daughter of the Chief, which would have made her a Princess in the Blackfoot tribe.  I cannot document this as we have absolutely NO history on her: no pictures, no documents, nothing! It grieves me that our family has nothing to acquaint us with her. All of the family heritage from my paternal Grandmother's side of the family was given to a Cousin of mine and she has not had anything to do with our family for years. I'm not even sure if she is still living or not, but she took all that history with her and none of us knows what happened to it.  So sad.  

But back in those days, it was not uncommon for Native Americans to change their identity for safety reasons. It was not safe to be known as Native American then. Not much history or birth certificates were kept or documented either. How I would love to be able to see a picture of her and to know more about her.

I think in all of our family, my Dad bore the strongest Native American look.  When my Brother was born, he looked like a little Native American boy! A head full of thick, almost jet black hair! My Dad had the reddish skin tone and facial features of a Native American and when he got older and retired from the steel mills, where he worked his way up to Foreman in the Electrical department, he became a Missionary Representative for a missions organization named "United Indian Missions" and made several missionary trips to reservations out west in Arizona.

Our of all six children born to my parents, it is only myself (I'm the eldest) and my baby Sister (who was born right before #6, my Brother) that seem to have inherited the Native American genes and love and passion for all things Native American. Just a month ago, she came to TN to visit and asked if there were any Pow Wows that were going to be going on while she was here. I found just one, and we went, but it was very small and not many "real" Native Americans there. It was pretty much a disappointment. I wish she could have been here for the one we just attended in Long Hunter State Park, supported by the NAIA (Native American Indian Association).  They only allowed registered tribes to dance or enter as vendors. There were tribes represented from all over the U.S., one of the furthest was from upper New York and from Minnesota.  What a joy to be at a "real" Pow Wow again and hear the Drum Groups playing and smell the white sage burning and see the dancers from differing tribes in their beautiful authentic regalia. I so wish my Sister could have been with us!  Thankfully, I was blessed that my eldest daughter and youngest daughter and Granddaughter were able to attend with me this time and they all thoroughly enjoyed the Pow Wow. (I think I am slowly winning them over!) :-)


Arvel Bird and my Granddaughter Amber
at Long Hunter State Park
Arvel Bird was the main stage attraction for talent though!! When we got there, we were thoroughly unprepared for the weather!! Just two weeks ago, it was so HOT we couldn't stay long, so we only took sweaters with us this time, as the weather was beginning to cool a little in the mornings but then go up to the 70's in the afternoon. I even took an umbrella with me to use if the sun got too hot and we didn't have any shade! So, I 'thought' I was prepared!  We got almost to the Pow Wow and it started raining and the temperatures were dropping into the low 50's! We kept trucking, hoping that it was going to clear up soon.  We got there and it was still alternating between raining and misting lightly. We were glad we had the umbrellas! But, not having brought jackets or heavier sweaters, we were all freezing!!  So the blanket sellers really made out there yesterday!  Everyone was going from booth to booth looking for anyone that had jackets or blankets for sale! Luckily, we found one and the blankets were beautiful and very reasonably priced, so we all bought blankets and couldn't wrap them around us tightly enough!

We were a little concerned because someone said that if it was still raining when it was time for Arvel Bird to perform, he wouldn't be performing because of the danger of the wetness and electrical equipment. I was secretly praying for the rain to stop!!  We were thrilled when it stopped raining and Arvel was able to perform! What a great musician and performer he is, and such a pleasure to watch! His unique sound and fusion of his Celtic and Paiute background is candy for the ears! Afterwards, the real thrill was to be able to have our pictures taken with him and purchase his CD's and speak with him for a few minutes. What a genuinely "NICE" person he is!! Most highly famous musicians are a little "snobby"..   but that isn't the case with Arvel. If you ever get the chance to meet him or see him perform, you will always be a FAN!

Thank you Arvel Bird!  Can't wait until next year and hopefully the opportunity to see him in person again!  Unless Jesus comes back first!  :-)

https://www.facebook.com/thearvelbird

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answers to Yesterday's Quiz on Moses

Trees