Innocence

Have you ever seen such an innocent looking face in your life?  He's such a baby and wonderful companion!  We got him when he was only 8 weeks old and he was the only "fawn" color in the bunch! Most were white like their Mother. I was not intending to get another dog at this time, because our beloved Sheltie, (Sam) was 12 years old and was starting to go blind and had already lost his hearing, and we had to have a tumor removed from his chest that was cancerous. I wasn't ready to deal with this so getting another dog was not on my top ten list.  Our cleaning lady at the time had a friend whose dog had just had a litter of pups though and he was getting divorced and needed to sell them. He didn't want to paper them, even though they were pure bloods because he just needed the money fast. So my husband wanted to "just go look" because he'd had a Boxer when he was little. Well, I warned him right away that we could just go look because it was a nice day for a ride in the country, but we didn't 'need' another puppy around right now! We got there and looked and as soon as my eyes fell on this one, it was love at first sight!  He looked up at me with those sad-sack eyes and I couldn't help myself. I would have done anything to bring this pup home with me! And we did!  (I'm sure my husband knew this is what would happen if I looked at them! I mean, who can resist a little puppy?? hmmm)  He was just barely 8 weeks old and wobbly on his feet. Since he was so little at the time, and it was summer...(I worked full-time at the university here) and no one was hardly ever around the building in the summer, so when my hubby was away, I couldn't just leave him alone at home all day in his crate! So I would bring him to work with me, set his crate behind my desk and then hold him in my lap most of the day and take him outside when he needed a potty break. He would sleep in my lap as I answered the phones or typed at my desk. I know you're not supposed to do that because then when they get huge, they still think they can be lap puppies! And that's exactly what happened with Sarge! (I had to name him Sarge because when I saw his face, he immediately reminded me of that old cartoon Sad Sack and the Sarge! )  Even now, at 80 lbs. and he will turn 7 years old Feb. 2nd this year; when he is sleepy at night he wants to come over, lay his huge head in my lap (because that's all he can fit there!) and try his best to coax me into letting him climb up more, which is impossible! He makes this sound that sounds exactly like he's trying to say "maaaa maaaa"! (That's how he works on my sympathy!) I start rubbing the top of his head and he starts going to sleep and snoring like a freight train standing up with his head in my lap!  After a few minutes of this, I tell him to go lie down in his bed, which he does now that he is older!

It amazes me how much pure, unadulterated FUN he gets every day when the mailman comes to slip our mail into the mail slot on our door!  He knows about what time the mail comes each day and waits.........   as soon as he senses he/she is coming down the walk towards our house, every muscle in his body tenses like a tightly wound spring. The minute he/she is at the door, and begins to push the mail through the door he SLAMS himself against the door and window and begins to viciously attack the mail as it enters the slot!!  The first few times this happened, the mail carrier almost had a heart attack! And I cannot tell you how many Venetian blinds we have been through!!  We should have bought stock years ago!!!  After the first couple of near fatal heart incidents, they began to get a kick out of watching this display of "Bring it on!"  A couple times, they would even taunt him by slipping it in and drawing it immediately back out again. Our mail always comes with teeth marks in it!  On days when there is no mail delivery, he seems so disappointed and kind of mopes around the house and keeps looked at the door!  How do you explain holidays and weekends to a dog?  LOL

My husband said the other day, commenting on how a Boxer's life span is only 8-10 years and what were we going to do when that day comes?  I couldn't even think about it.  Hopefully, our Sarge will live much longer than the norm.  Until that day, we will enjoy this "gift" at a time when the Lord knew he would help ease the pain of losing our Sam, and his joyful and puppy-like spirit, until the day we have to say "goodbye" to him too. The hardest thing about loving a dog is they are only with you for a short time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answers to Yesterday's Quiz on Moses

In the Beginning....